Thursday, April 8, 2010

Round 2, Beautiful New Niece, & Easter!!

Monday, April 5th, I had my second chemo treatment.  On day 3, I am feeling pretty good!!  I am so truly blessed and thankful we were able to stay the course and not have to resort to a plan B treatment option.  So with Monday's round of chemo we now have two treatments under our belt and four left to go!!!  YEAH!!!

My doctor, Dr. Rachel Jankowitz is still out on maternity leave, so last Thursday we met with another doctor in the practice, Dr. Shannon Puhalla.  It was decided that we would stay the course with the current the dosage of Herceptin, then Benedryl, then Taxotere, and finally Carboplatin.  The only change was decreasing the Taxotere by 25% and adding in a shot the day after chemo called Neulasta.  The hope is that by reducing the the Taxotere and adding the Neulasta shot, my body won't have as bad of a reaction to the chemo and the goal is to keep me out of the hospital.  So far so good!!  I am a little run down, but nothing like I was with my last treatment.  Keep the prayers coming that I continue to feel okay and stay out of the hospital this go around!

Well enough about cancer-smancer...  A lot of has happened since April 1st!  First and foremost my sister, Lori, and my brother-in-law, Brian, welcomed another BEAUTIFUL baby girl into their family.  Brenna Rae made her arrival at 3:05am, weighing in at a healthy 7 pounds, 9 ounces, and 20 inches long.  Mom & baby are both healthy and home enjoying their time getting to know one another.  Big sisters Morgan & Kayli are thrilled to have Brenna home. 

After meeting my newest niece on April 1st, I made a trip out to get my hair buzzed off!  It was a bitter sweet day.  I miss my hair, but honestly, as it was falling out, I am glad I did it when I did.  My hair was falling out rapidly and I couldn't wash it without pulling clumps out.  I made showering quite a challenge!! 

I was also joined by Keith Leonard who opted to buzz his hair off with me.  I was glad to have a friend do this with me and it truly means a lot to me that he would do this (although he didn't have as much hair to lose in the process!!).  Thanks Keith!!!  You look great!!  Just don't forget the sunscreen!


And lastly, I can't forget about my father who also shaved his head without my knowing.  It was such a touching gesture and although he too didn't have much hair to buzz off, it means a lot to me that he shaved his head too.  (Now if we can only shed the beard and mustache!  Hunting season is over dad!!  Although you might freak Kennedy out if you shave it all off.)  I love you so much dad!!!  You sure do know how to make a daughter feel special and I am honored to call you my father.

This past weekend, I was also blessed to have the opportunity to spend Easter with my family.  My aunt Marilou, Uncle Gary, my mother, father, grandfather, and cousins helped to make a FABULOUS meal.  We were lucky enough to have a BEAUTIFUL day and for that I am truly blessed.  I hope you too had a fabulous Easter with family.

HE HAS RISEN!!

No comments: