Monday, August 30, 2010

August Update!

On August 16th we met with my oncologist, Dr. Rachel Jenkowitz, for what we thought would be a routine post chemo appointment.  We had just finished 3 weeks of chemo and were preparing for radiation to start on August 23rd.  Little did we know what was in store for us....

Our doctor was shocked at how well I had handled the prior 3 weeks of chemo.  I managed the side effects of the chemo fairly well and was shocked I still had my hair!  What came next neither Chris or I were prepared for.  It honestly took all the wind out of our sails and changed the direction of our treatment.  She suggested that if we wanted to continue to aggressively attack the cancer, what "might" remain, if anything at all, then we needed to seriously consider an additional 6 chemo treatments.

I knew the answer, without hesitation...  I want to see my daughter grow up, go to Kindergarten, have more children, grow old with the love of my life.  I want to do EVERYTHING I can to ensure I am here 5, 10, 25, 50 years from now.  One look at my husband and I knew he was on the same page, but it didn't mean he liked that decision. 

Before we knew if, I was getting labs, canceling the radiology oncology appointment scheduled for the next day, and preparing to restart another six chemo treatments.  Only this one didn't go so smoothly...  I had a reaction once they started the Herceptin and became short of breath.  Every time I took a breath in, I coughed and breathing was difficult.  I notified a nurse, who stopped the treatment and I was sent for a chest x-ray and an EKG.  Hours later, both came back normal and we resumed treatment...  This time with Benadryl and Decadron added into the mix.  The doctors believe I was having an allergic reaction to the medication - one that I had had already had 9 times in the past.  A drug which I am scheduled to continue taking until at least March 2011.  Eight hours after we arrived for what we thought was just a routine Herceptin treatment we left, having received the first of six doses of chemo.

The doctors plan to give me 6 additional doses of chemo, the first one I received on 8/16 and I will finish on 9/27.  I'll receive three treatments and then have one week off (Labor day Monday).  Radiation has been pushed back until November and I hope to be completely done with all treatment, aside from Herceptin, by Christmas.

So far the first two treatments of the six I am going to receive have gone well.  The first week was rather rough.  I was VERY run down and honestly bummed out.  The wind was taken out of our sails and the light at the end of the tunnel had been pushed back.  Chris and I were both really worried about a repeat of what we had experienced the first go around with chemo.  My energy levels were really low.  The second treatment went much, much more smoothly.  I was full of energy and amazed at how good I was feeling.  I can only hope tomorrow's treatment goes just as well as round two.

Tomorrow I receive treatment three out of our LAST SIX.  Pray things go as smoothly as round two!

Onto other things...  I had a fantastic weekend with my sister and her family.  Kennedy and I joined my sister's family at the Hookstown Fair.  My niece, Kayli, competes each year on her pony, Sharon, and I have enjoyed watching her doing what she loves!  We had a fabulous day!  I hope you enjoy this candid photo my sister, Lori, captured at the fair! 

And as always....  Thank you for your continued prayers!  Only four more chemo treatments, then radiation, Herceptin until March, and then we are DONE!  D-O-N-E!  Here is hoping 2011 will be a much better year for my family.

No comments: